Hood River Blood Drive – November 6 2018
There is a significant shortage of blood this time of year. Did you know in the next hour, 1,800 people will need blood in the United States. And another 1,800 the following 60 minutes. That is 43,200 people in one day who need blood. Donating blood saves lives.
The American Red Cross is having a blood drive in the Hood River area next week. Please donate as you could help save a life. The blood drive is:
Wed, Nov 6, 2018, 9:30am – 3:30pm: Waucoma Building, 902 Wasco St, Hood River, OR
Can’t make it to the blood drive next week? Good news, there is another blood drive a couple weeks later in November where you can also donate.
Fri, Nov 23, 2018, 10:00am – 3:30pm, Elks Lodge, 3rd and Cascade Hood River, OR
To donate blood, you can sign-up here. Input your Zip Code in the Blue or Red box where indicated. Then follow the steps to sign up and donate blood.
Here are some facts about blood needs and why your donation is important:
Facts about blood needs (from American Red Cross website)
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S.
- Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- It is estimated that sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- According to the American Cancer Society, more than 1.69 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2017. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.